Some of the links here are not working now because they refer to an old site that is out of order since August. We will restore the links as soon as possible. Contact us when you need specific information out of these pages.
Apologies for the inconvenience.
Rationale has a range of resources for learning and teaching in schools, colleges and universities.
More about Rationale
- Video: the people behind Rationale tell the story of its development and how it improves critical thinking skills
- Getting started with Rationale
- 6 steps to better critical thinking
- What is argument mapping?
- List of Users
These exercises are designed for use in Rationale – look for the links in Rationale in the ribbon of the Editor. Preview them here:
These resources are for viewing online:
Training and professional development for educators
Training and workshops can be organized to match your particular educational needs. Workshops include argument mapping activities and practical integration of the Rationale into your classroom environment.
- Please contact us for all inquiries
- Research into Argument Mapping
- Argument Mapping Improves Critical Thinking: a paper by Charles Twardy
- Does Philosophy Improve Critical Thinking Skills?: Masters Thesis by Claudia Alvarez. See chapter 5. Our English or Dutch site has more background information.
- “Teaching Critical Thinking: Some Lessons from Cognitive Science” from College Teaching, 2005 by Tim van Gelder
- "Provoking Students Into Thinking" from Compak, February 2007 by Fiona Patterson
- “The critical edge” , The Age, 26 March 2007 by Yanna Rider
- “The rationale for Rationale™” from Law, Probability and Risk, Advance Access Oct 2007, by Tim van Gelder.
- “Critical Thinking in the Intelligence Community: The Promise of Argument Mapping. ” by Lawrence Lengbyer. Inquiry: Critical Thinking across the Disciplines. Summer 2014, Vol. 29, No.2.
An extended illustration of how you can use Rationale in analyzing the issue of Iraqi nuclear activities in 2002.
- This English or our Dutch site has more background information.